After a very confusing hour-long chat with my webhost's tech support yesterday.... I discovered that the settings for my [@]jenaleighbooks.com email addresses hadn't been set up correctly.
...Which came as something of a surprise to me, considering they haven't been changed in over two years, and I had been sending and receiving emails—I thought—just fine the entire time.
Except that I wasn't.
Some emails were being slightly delayed, and some of the emails you guys sent me (not many, but at least a few) never made it to me at all.
My initial reaction to the news.
My reaction once I realized my webhost was responsible for the screw up.
So this is just a quick note to say: If you've ever sent me an e-mail, and you didn't hear back from me, you have my apologies!
I do my absolute best to answer each and every email I receive, and the thought that some of you wrote me and heard nothing back, worries me a lot.
The settings should be correct now, so if you write me and fail to hear back within 1-2 weeks, please let me know here on the blog!!!
I always love hearing from you guys! :)